6 Great Countries Where You Can Work While Studying6 min read

Ali Neill / October 16, 2018
Category : Jobseeker, Jobseeker advice, Recruitment, Student
Caption: 6 Great Countries Where You Can Work While Studying6 min read

If you plan on studying abroad, but don’t have a scholarship that can cover all of your expenses, you might have to consider getting a part-time or full-time job. It can be a great way to maintain a steady income allowing you to tackle academic challenges without worrying about money. Wonderlic Test Prep is here to help. They have found the 6 best countries in which you can work while studying.

The main problem that international students face is not being allowed to work while studying. One country which makes it practically impossible for international students to obtain a working permit is Italy. In theory, you can work while studying, but it is very difficult. Other countries like China allow foreign students to work but make the application process for a working permit pretty tricky. The United States also have very complicated laws and strict rules when it comes to working while studying. In some countries, like Costa Rica, international students are banned from working while studying.

Luckily, there are plenty of countries, which offer a great education and also let international students work part-time, while attending university. Some have relatively high restrictions while others are quite lenient. The following countries all make it easy for students to earn some extra money. Here are the six top countries for immigrant students who need to work while studying.

1.  Sweden

Sweden is a great place to live and also a great place to study. Sweden has lots of high ranking universities, and while you won’t find it among the top ten countries when it comes to quality of the education system, it is still among the best choices in the world for international students.

The country is also pretty lenient when it comes to allowing international students to work. If you have a residence permit in Sweden (and you get one if you’re studying there), there’s no official limit on how many hours you can work. You can find out more about the topic here.

2. United Kingdom

Some of the best universities in the world are located in the UK, but the country has strict rules when it comes to working while studying. If you’re a citizen of the EU, EEA (European Economic Area), or Switzerland there’s no limit on the number of hours you can work per week, and there’s no application process. You just need to let your employer know where you are from.

If you’re from a country outside the EU, then the rules are a bit different. Firstly, you need a Tier 4 (General) Student Visa. And then there are still plenty of restrictions. You can check them out on the site of the University of Edinburgh. Here’s what it says in a nutshell: you can work 20 hours per week if you’re on a full-time programme at degree level or above or 10 hours per week if on a below degree level.

3. France

France is one of the best places to study if you’re an international student and have a scholarship that covers all of your expenses. In case you have to work to cover up your costs, France is still the way to go. The good thing about France is that all international students are allowed to work while studying.

They are limited per 964 hours a year (60 percent of the legal work year or about 19 hours per week), and if they are outside the EU, they must have a student resident permit. APT or temporary work permit is needed only for Algerian students. Everyone else can work without having one.

4. Canada

Canada is a beautiful country with some much to offer in the way of education, especially if you plan on staying there after your studies. The country makes it simple for foreign students hoping to stay and work in Canada after their studies. However, if you need to work while studying, the rules are pretty complicated, so we’ll explain them in a bit more detail than we did for the other countries.

International students can work on campus if they are a full-time post-secondary student at:

  • A public post-secondary school, such as a college or university
  • The CEGEP in Quebec (a private college-level school in Quebec that operates under the same rules as public schools and is at least 50% funded by government grants)
  • A Canadian private school that can legally award degrees under provincial law.

A study permit and a Social Insurance Number are also required. There’s no limit in hours for on campus work.

If students want to work off campus without a work permit, they have a limit of 20 hours per week. Additionally, a study permit that allows them to work off campus is required (the information should be on the permit). They need to be full-time students at “a designated learning institution (DLI) and they need to be enrolled in a post-secondary academic, vocational or professional training program or a secondary-level vocational training program (in Quebec only).” It goes without saying that they also need to have a Social Security Number.

For students “enrolled in a program with English or French as the only second language (ESL/FSL)” or those enrolled in a general interest course, a valid work permit is mandatory to work off campus. Learn more about these many rules here.

5. Australia

If you manage to get a student visa and take a college course in Australia, we can tell you that not only can you work there while studying but any family members (family members included in student visa application) that are with you can also work while you study in the country. The same rules apply to both students and their family members.

While you study, all of you can work up to 20 hours per one week and full-time during vacations. And if you are a postgraduate research student, you can work full-time if you started a masters in research or a doctoral degree. The same rights apply to all your family members!

6. New Zealand

Last but not least, we have New Zealand. This country, like Sweden, doesn’t have world famous universities but it offers an excellent education all the same. It is also one of the countries with the highest standard of living. Furthermore, applying for a student visa is pretty easy and straightforward.

If you want to work before you start your studies, you must check your eVisa or physical visa label that can be found in your passport for your working rights. These can also be found in a letter that comes with your student visa. If you cannot find your working rights, then you are not eligible to work.

If you have permission to work, you can work up to 20 hours a week if you’re studying full-time for at least two years. Over the holidays, international students can work full-time. Also, Ph.D. and Masters (in research) students can work full-time without any restrictions. Find all about New Zealand work while studying rules here.

We hope this article from Wonderlic has been enlightening! If you have any suggestions for our blog, please let us know. If you are a recruiter looking to hire in any of these countries, check out some of our other articles on recruiting: How  to recruit in Sweden, the UK, France, Canada, Australia or New Zeland.

Author: Ali Neill

As the job board tester and blog editor for the Jobboard Finder, Ali works on job boards from all around the world and keeps a close eye on the recruitment trends thanks to a number of sources, including the website’s social media pages.

14 thoughts on “6 Great Countries Where You Can Work While Studying6 min read

  1. Hello There,

    I hope you are well. This is Camilla Morgan, working as Blogger at Wonderlic Test Prep. I just came across your website and wondering if I could also contribute my articles on it. I have contributed to many high authority websites to share my knowledge with readers. In return, I just need a reference link in very brief author bio section.

    If you are accepting guest posts then let me know, so that I can share my topic ideas with you and we can proceed further.

    Looking forward to your positive response.


    Camilla Morgan

  2. Hi
    It’s Jahidul from Bangladesh! I wanted to know that which country would be best ( from this 6 countries) for working while studying. And it will be more helpful if you tell me whether I can cover up my study and all expenses by doing part time job?
    TIA ❤️

    1. Hi Jahidul, that really depends on the languages you speak, the studies you hope to complete and your living conditions. It’s a complex question, which will depend on many factors concerning yourself. I would recommend researching each country and seeing which one is right for you.

      1. Hi there!! it’s me Vangi Omari from Tanzania, I wanted to know that which country has the lowest tuition fees and other expenses, and I can join part time job while I studying to cover my all expenses?

  3. While studying in Sweden, Am I able to financially support my family along with my studies?
    Am I able to trade some stuff among both the countries (i. e, Pakistan and Sweden)?
    Can I send money to Pakistan?

    1. Thank you for your comment. Unfortunately, we focus on recruit, not different laws and regulations concerning money transfers and studies.

  4. hi.am petrus jairus from Namibia, i want your advice which country to study and secure job whiles working..? am a third year electrical and electronic engineering student.

  5. Hi !its me Mohammed Azaz Alam from Kathmandu NEPAL and i want to know about Newzeland for my masters.
    how much difficult to get a job and to survive and how long time i can live their ?
    can i will get PR if yes how long i have to stay ?

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *